Several parents have requested an overview of all the visits that are on offer for the whole 7 years at St Ivo School. This can be found in the tables below. There is one table for Years 7 to 11, and another for Sixth Form.
Cost calculator: If you click the box alongside the title, the cost will be added to the total at the foot of the grid. Please note that everything you see comes with no guarantee. Visits are sometimes cancelled because of political unrest, stormy seas, etc. Prices will fluctuate due to oil prices, accommodation costs, etc. It would be impossible to give an accurate price for a visit that might take place in 7 years time. The cost of visits will be updated on a regular basis when prices are confirmed. Please rest assured that we will always endeavour to get the best possible deal for your children both financially and educationally.
Visit details: If you roll over the title of any visit a brief description can be seen, for example the purpose, location, approximate cost, number of students, and number of lessons, days or nights away from school.
Visit categories: In the description, you will also see a category A, B, C, or D.
- A: ESSENTIAL: The visit is essential to the course because students could not complete or pass the course without it. The visit aims to involve all students studying the course. The suggested financial contribution is relatively low compared to most trips (usually under £50)
- B: INTEGRATED: The visit is not essential for studying the course. However, the visit is tightly integrated with the course, closely linked to the scheme of work, and used as a resource for lessons, student classwork and homework. The visit aims to involve at least half to all the students studying the course. The suggested financial contribution is medium level (usually £50-£100).
- C: CONNECTED: The visit is not essential for studying the course. However, the visit has connections to the course and offers useful extended experiences for subject knowledge, cultural insights, and personal development. The visit tends to involve a minority of the students studying the course. The suggested financial contribution ranges from high to expensive (usually £100 upwards).
- D: DECIDING CAREERS: The visit is not essential, but highly useful for considering career paths after Y11, Y12 and Y13. Such visits are free when possible, or a suggested financial contribution to pay for transport costs e.g. coaches, trains.
- All visits are one day in duration unless otherwise noted.
- The cost calculator does not include occasional free visits and activities outside or inside school for a few lessons, for example collecting Geography fieldwork data in St. Ives, visiting a local place of worship in RE, and Food Technology demonstrations.
- Students may also be offered additional opportunities that arise, for example theatre and dance productions where we are able to secure tickets. Sometimes sporting events are offered (for example Wimbledon tennis tickets, golf, and cycling), with priority given to students taking Vocational Sport and/or those involved in extra-curricular sports clubs.
As many parents will appreciate, the organisation and administration of educational visits is a major challenge for teachers and support staff in the finance department, medical room, staffing office, and SEN department. We endeavour at all times to ensure a smooth and safe process, and seek to make improvements at every opportunity. Please experiment with the system and give us any constructive feedback, for example ‘What Went Well; Even Better If...’
Dr Mike Craig, Deputy Head & Educational Visits Co-ordinator